Samosa is a baked or fried pastry having a delicious filling inside. The filling consists of different ingredients such as cheese, onions, peas, potatoes, meats, lentils, macaroni, beef, and others. There are different shapes and sizes of samosa shapes available, which include cone shapes, triangular shapes, half-moon shapes, and other shapes. The shape and size of the samosa change from one region to another.
Samosas are a famous evening snack in the Indian subcontinent. People like to eat samosas on important occasions and events also.
Origin of Samosas
India is the main origin place of samosas. There are also other places that are an origin place of samosas. They are Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Middle East, Africa, and other South Asian countries.
Ingredients for the Samosas
Ingredient for different sections of the recipe is given separately hereunder:
Ingredients for Samosa Dough
- 02 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ ajwain seeds
- ¼ cup oil or ghee
- ¾ ghee and salt
- ¾ cumin seeds
Ingredients for Samosa Filling
- 2-3 potatoes
- ¾ teaspoon red chili flakes and red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¾ teaspoon grounded garam masala
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fennel powder
- ½ teaspoon amchur powder
- Half cup peas
- ¾ teaspoon garlic and ginger paste
Directions for Making Samosa Recipe
- First of all, the chef should fry the cumin seeds in one teaspoon of oil. Then, add the cumin seeds in the all-purpose flour in a big bowl. Afterward, the chef should work on the all-purpose flour and turn it into fantastic soft yet hard dough. The dough is an important part of the samosa. It should not be too soft. Otherwise, the samosa will not retain its shape and it would not come out crispy.
- While working on the perfect dough, put the water in a vessel, but the water inside, and bring it to a boil. Add the potatoes, and boil them until they are tender.
- Now, it is time to make the filling of samosas. Add the cumin seeds to a pan and sauté it. Within a few seconds, add the minced ginger and green chili to the oil.
- After sautéing these fragrant ingredients for 30 to 50 seconds, add the boiled potatoes to the pan. There are some optional ingredients you can add to the pan. Chefs can add cashews, other dry fruits, or hing.
- Add all other spices into the pan such as amchur powder, red chili flakes, and red chili powder.
- After cooking spices in the pan, add the peas and mashed boiled potatoes and cook the entire batch for 5-10 minutes together.
- Flatten the dough in a circle loaf, cut at the center loaf into two parts, and make the samosa shape from the half loaf. Add the filling, pack it and deep-fry it.
Remember that samosas are served hot with chatni. Make the yummiest chatni or Dipitt Tomato Ketchup and serve along with samosas hot on the plate.